First Assistant Store Director
Safeway, Inc. is one of the most successful food and drug retailers in North America and is proud to serve neighborhoods across the country with the freshest groceries at a great value. We offer innovative products and programs that seek to improve consumers' health and quality of life. The employees that make this possible are the heart of our company, and they are an essential part of our strong heritage and clear vision for the future. We are proud to offer products and programs that seek to improve shoppers' quality of life, such as our innovative pharmacies and brands like Eating Right® and O Organics®.
Job Description: As one of the primary contacts for Safeway customers, the First Assistant Store Director is actively involved in and provides friendly, courteous, and helpful customer service on a daily basis. The First Assistant Store Director is also responsible for assisting the Store Director with the total operations of the store and performs various duties personally or through supervision of store employees (100+ bargaining unit and non-contract employees). The First Assistant Store Director position is a non-union, salaried position and reports directly to the Store Director.
The First Assistant Director manages the entire store with the authority to operate the store at maximum efficiency during the absence of the Store Director. The First Assistant Store Director is responsible for the supervision of all store employees. This includes orienting new employees, training and developing, scheduling and payroll, performance evaluation, and personnel actions (e.g., hiring, promoting, disciplining, etc.). Our First Assistant Directors also performs or delegates security and cash control procedures, the handling of customer complaints, the reporting of accidents/injuries, the maintenance of sanitation standards, office and accounting functions, the maintenance of in-stock conditions, and ensuring communication between departments and among store personnel.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overall management responsibility for operation of retail grocery store during absence of the Store Director, including store performance, control of cash, inventory and security, customer services, and management of staff.
- Track, analyze and take action to improve store performance by forecasting of weekly/daily sales goals and meeting or exceeding established goals.
- Communicate sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities with staff to ensure positive results.
- Forecast, schedule, and monitor labor to be consistent with store sales and productivity guidelines and wage budgets; create action plan to address cost control issues.
- Support Store Director with development and direction in the execution of strategies to improve product placement and appearance.
- Monitor display accuracy and appearance to implement promotions. Ensure that products are properly displayed and ordered in a manner to maintain in-stock conditions.
- Manage issues relating to store maintenance, cleanliness, safety and sanitation.
- Oversee and monitor handling of cash and accounting; ensure store is secured.
- Prioritize, plan, and coordinate work activities, and manage time and resources so that work objectives are met.
- Ensure compliance with legal requirements and company policies and procedures, including check cashing, security, safety, sanitation, wage and hour, etc.
- Focus on customer satisfaction and needs; ensure that employees provide customers with superior customer service through use of best practices and communication of the importance of superior customer service.
- Select, train, develop, and manage job performance of store employees, with assistance of other management personnel.
- Provide constructive suggestions and encouragement, set performance expectations, provide honest feedback, and identify assignments to provide others with developmental opportunities.
- Maintain appropriate professional relationship with union officials and ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreement provisions if applicable.
- Preserve positive working relationships with direct reports, peers, supervisors, suppliers, and customers effectively handling complex or difficult situations involving others.
- Motivate others to perform the job and work towards common objectives. Serve as a role model to others instilling a positive attitude in his/her employees.
- May perform other management duties to keep the store functioning effectively at all times.
- Minimum of one year of assistant manager experience responsible for managing a department/team within a multi-department operation within the retail or service industry - OR - Two years' experience as a department manager with responsibility for managing a department/team within a multi-department operation within the retail or service industry
- High school diploma or equivalent required; college degree is preferred
- Strong customer service and supervisory skills
- Solid understanding of overall store operations
- Proven ability to demonstrate strong leadership skills
- Will be required to repeatedly use hands, arms, legs, and feet for sustained action (e.g. walking around the store, stocking, rotating product).
- Ability to stand 100% of the shift and work in a fast-paced environment.
Travel: May be required to travel for training or participation in corporate programs and focus groups. Additionally, travel to other stores to assist when necessary may be required. Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting: https://careersatsafeway.com/
Schedules: With many of our stores operating 24 hours per day, interested applicants must allow for a variety of shifts and long hours including nights, holidays, and weekends. Days off during the work week are seldom taken consecutively. As an Assistant Store Director, a significant portion of your day will be spent on the sales floor managing employees and interacting with customers.
Equal Opportunity Employer