Second Assistant Store Director
SECOND ASSISTANT MANAGER
Safeway, Inc. is one of the most successful food and drug retailers in North America and is proud to serve neighborhoods across the country with the freshest groceries at a great value. We offer innovative products and programs that seek to improve consumers' health and quality of life. The employees that make this possible are the heart of our company, and they are an essential part of our strong heritage and clear vision for the future. As one of the primary contacts for Safeway customers, the Second Assistant Store Manager is actively involved in and provides friendly, courteous, and helpful customer service on a daily basis to provide a positive shopping experience. The Second Assistant Store Manager is also responsible for assisting the Store Manager with the total operations of the store and performs various duties personally or through supervision of store employees (100+ bargaining unit and non-contract employees).
The Second Assistant Store Manager position is a non-union, salaried position and reports directly to the Store Manager.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Focus on positive customer service/satisfaction experience and ensure that employees provide customers with superior customer service through use of best practices and communication of the importance of superior customer service
* Responsible for appropriately handling emergencies, customer complaints, employee or customer accidents, reconciling cash with sales receipts, reports, inventories and supervising all store personnel in absence of Store Manager and First Assistant Store Manager
* Maintain, encourage and possess an "owner mentality"
* Monitor product display accuracy and appearance to implement promotions ensuring presentation, pricing and signage are properly displayed and presented according to established practices and plans and ordered in a manner to maintain in-stock conditions
* Monitor all vendors to ensure proper adherence to our standards
* Ensure that compliance with all federal, state, local agency, company policies and procedures are properly followed, including, security, safety, food handling and sanitation, weights and measures, refrigeration, wage and hour, etc.
* Maintain appropriate professional relationship with union officials and ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreement provisions, if applicable
* Create a rewarding work environment where our employees feel valued and empowered
* Replace stock in display areas as needed. May be responsible for counting out-of-stock products
* Perform various paperwork including employee evaluations, corrective action plans, job postings and product recalls
* May be responsible for completing close-of-day function in office
* Works in every department of store as needed, except meat and pharmacy
* Ensure store is maintained to company standards Travel for training or participation in corporate programs and focus groups may be required. Additionally, travel to other stores to assist when necessary will be required.
Relocation: Based on our business needs, participants must be willing to relocate anywhere within their assigned district following the successful completion of the 8-10 week training program. Schedules: With many of our stores operating 24 hours per day, interested applicants must allow for a variety of shifts and long hours including nights, holidays, and weekends. Days off during the work week are seldom taken consecutively.
Working Conditions: This position requires repeated use of hands, arms, legs, and feet for sustained action (e.g. long periods of time walking around the store and standing, stocking, rotating product). Frequent bending, squatting and kneeling and capable of lift 25 to 55 pounds and ability to work in a fast-paced environment and occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
* College degree with 6 months of retail experience - OR - high school graduate with 4 years of retail experience
* Prior experience as a department manager or person-in-charge
* Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
* Excellent interpersonal, communication and organization skills
* Demonstrated upbeat demeanor with a sales-oriented personality
* Strong customer service and proven ability to demonstrate leadership skills
* Understanding of overall store operations
* Ability to work flexible schedules. job description is intended to provide a high-level of general requirements for this position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure proper operations.
Safeway is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (MFDV) and welcomes diverse talent and backgrounds. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting the internal Safeway Career web site at http://hrd.safeway.com/careers/